Monday 12 May 2014

When Life Gives You Lemons.........................................

When life gives you lemons, suck hard and wince!!!! Life sometimes doesn't wait to be invited to stop, it naturally puts on the brakes and you find yourself ploughing into the back of the person in front of you!!



This last month we had our 'Bob's review, new medication,  launch event of the Parents Forum, developing 'Bob's revision techniques for GCSEs, and lots and lots of SEN information to read.  I have chased my tail that many times in the last four weeks and flown by the seat of my pants, I should be wearing my knickers over my tights and a red cape!!  Not that I am saying I'm Superwoman, far from it!  I think SEN mummies wear red capes all the time, not too sure about the knickers though that would be above and beyond the call of duty, and very bizarre!

I have dealt with child and adult meltdowns for a variety of reasons; some completely off the wall and others with good reason, and I have had to hold my hands up and take responsibility for my own actions.  Uncomfortable, yes! Necessary, yes! Life changing, you betcha!

I have had some incredible conversations with some incredible SEN parents who take Warrior Mums to another level.  Inspiring and touching, making me realise the need for parental support can be such a lifeline for so many families, and such a rewarding thing to be a part of.

I have reached into my own emotional suitcase more times than I cared for this last month, know it still hurts, but I'm able to carefully put it away until the next time.  I have struggled to know when they all need to come out and come to the conclusion that whilst they are safely boxed away they can all stay there a little bit longer.

SEN life is changing for so many families, and it's ramping up at a right rate of knots.  Awareness and readiness are going to be crucial to successful implementation, there's no stopping the world this time, it's ploughing its way through into September and beyond!  I truly believe in working together, the new buzz word is Co-production and its threaded through the new SEN Code of Practice.

SEN parents need to be at the very heart of these changes, and involved in the delivery of services for their children and young people in equal partnership. Our local authorities need to realise that although they may have the expertise, we as parents have the knowledge of our own individual children and that is invaluable! Parents as Partners; Working with, Not to!


1 comment: